Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Sorry I have not shared in so long. There have been several times in our lives that David and I have felt "this is the most stressful time of our lives," we have given up calculating that measurement. Life is stressful, plain and simple. Scripture is pretty clear about this point, just a couple of many examples: Job 5:7 "For man is born for trouble, as sparks fly upward." And in the New Testament, John 16:33 "In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration;" Fortunately scripture is full of good promises as well. A few verses later in Job 5:11, "So that He sets on high those who are lowly, and those who mourn He lifts to safety." And the entire verse in John says "I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! for I have overcome the world. [I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.] Amplified Bible

Out of curiosity I google searched "most stressful life circumstances." I thought I would find a check list we could get busy marking. What I found was how blessed we are. We can check quite a few of the things I discovered in the search, but the things that matter the very most to us are good, the things the most difficult for people to handle, we do not deal with. Our business stays steady, we work - hard no doubt but we work. In a time when many peoples businesses are failing, we are working. Our family is strong, we are close, stable, united and full of love. In a time when family is being persecuted, redefined and falling apart we are constantly enjoying one another and growing in mature relationships. None of us are dead, in prison or fighting a major illness, oh wait we have a couple of those illness going on actually.  Great jobs with great people in a great place to live, what more could we ask for? Well, I am selfish enough to ask the Lord for a little less stress, but He is gracious to give me His presence in the midst of what could be a lot worse. I have learned through relationship with Jesus to be selfless enough to defer to a sovereign God in love and peace.

Update on cancer treatment: I have discovered that the last treatments are more difficult than the first treatments. I don't know if this is true for everyone but it is certainly so for me. I was so sick leading up to diagnosis that beginning treatment was a reprieve for me, the doctor prescribed me 13 different medications to help me deal with the illness and it's side effects, it felt good not to feel so bad. Now the chemo is really wearing me out. My white blood cell count is low, my hair is thinning drastically, my energy level is deteriorated, the side effects of chemotherapy are increasing, I feel like I'm fighting an illness again. There is ebb and flow however, most days are ok or good and only some days are hard. I am spoiled with a family that leaves me to sleep as many hours as I need to sleep - they wake me up to feed me then send me back to bed. In my efforts to be honest I feel I should share these hard not so exciting feelings as well as the victories. The reality is, it's hard to have cancer. It's harder to overcome emotionally when weak physically. Life is stressful. The reality also is, love covers all this over like a glaze on a cake sliding and dripping into every crevice and overflowing all around. Life is also wonderful and I'm grateful to be living it.


4 comments:

Margaret said...

Thank you for the update. I appreciate your honesty and telling the bad and the good. You are handling it all with such humility and grace. I know that God is your source of hope and strength. It's am amazing miracle that only happens when you completely empty yourself before the Lord. I will continue to pray for you and your updates help me to pray specifically for your needs. I'm sending hugs and love through the blog! Love you my friend!
margaret

michael said...

You sure are right about your blessings, they are many! You have an amazing family to help in this seasons of life!

Izzy said...

I just love my friend (and her family)

Ruth said...

Praying for you right now, Beth.